Thursday, January 10, 2013

Profligate - Come Follow Me (More, 2012)


This should have been on my 2012 list. Dammit. Ordinarily I'd be embarrassed that one of the best albums of the year passed me by unnoticed, but this year was bizarre in that many of artists released killer material after October. This one came out November 1, which is highly unusual in the marketing game. Is this a new trend? I guess that's a subject for a different article.  In fact, the only reason I know about this at all is because of my friend Justin Farrar's year end list. Thanks to him for enlightening me.

Profligate makes a particular brand of easily accessible post-industrial synth pop. There are catchy hooks buried in the dark, which is reminiscent of some old school Wax Trax / Nettwerk vibes. This aesthetic is met by Basic Channel era dub techno beats, shrouded in fuzz and scuzz. Given all of these elements, its most fascinating that the end result still feels like a pretty pop record. This is really amazing stuff. Give it a go.



Listen HERE

Purchase LP HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers